Thursday, July 16, 2020

An Introduction to Christopher

Christopher McGinty is a lot of things, and sometimes those things get confusing to others. To avoid frustrating questions, I like to introduce myself in three parts.

I am a forest gnome! A lot of people just assume I am a halfling, which can be annoying... They're so loud and clumsy, and so goodie-two-shoes. I come from a long line of Christopher McGinty's, and we all have or had the same job.

I am the 4th of my name in our family of cartographers. Every Christopher McGinty (Or Chris - the second one - we don't talk about the second one) is or has been a cartographer of the land. I don't know what else there is to map in this world, that's why I'm going to Baldurs Gate - I'm sure such a big city knows more than our village does!

Oh, I guess I should explain - my family decided to name all it's firstborn sons Christopher, so people think it's one gnome who lived for a very long time! Its fun to joke with people like this!
And my name is Christopher, or Chrissie for short. NOT Chris. Grandpa Chris did some really bad things on his journeys - he went into dark magic and brought back a dead dragon to attack an elf village that did nothing wrong! That's why I won't let nobody call me Chris.

Oh! I mentioned 3 parts! I am also a cleric - since I was little, my mother taught me her family's ways about believing in the gods. She made me sit by the oldest tree of our village and listen carefully - with my heart, not my ears - to see if any god looked over me. It was very difficult so sit still for so long, but after about a full 6 minutes I heard the voice of Hermes! He's really a fun god to worship, I like him a lot. Our circle of clerics was running low with people so I volunteered to be an apprentice there once I realized a god liked me! I even promised him that I would never do anything bad.

The rest of my life is simple - I'm 32, (so kind of like twelve in human years) I have a mum and dad and a tiny baby sister called Lexie (though her name isn't a tradition like mine!) and we all live in a nice house in the middle of our village. I enjoy food and games and drawing and playing the fiddle when I have the time! I'm vegetarian and would never, ever kill anything! I have blond hair and blue eyes and blue geometric tattoos all over me that start to shine when I use my magic through other things. I have to wear glasses because without them I can't see further than a foot.

I have lots of friends but my coolest friend is Gregory - he's really strong and lives in a monastery and often comes to our village to help us. He has lived as long as I have but he is already an adult. He often comes to our village to help us fix things and such.

One day, while a bunch of us were traveling to another town (with Gregory), we were ambushed by raging owlbears. I don't get it, they're usually so cute! Even Aiko (my pygmy owl familiar) did not understand why his... um... cousins? were being mean! I was a little bit afraid, but being an apprentice with the cleric taught me some cool powers that I can use to help people in battle. So, while Gregory was fighting, I helped him by making him more sturdy and healing him! We worked really well together! After that fight, we both made our way to Baldurs Gate. I don't know why he wanted to go there, but I really hope they know a place I can map! I am going to miss my family, but I hope to go back home soon. They understand my job, and they started praying for Hermes to watch over me. I also hope he watches over them because they are the best family ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christopher - Entry 7 - Vindication!

I got some rest, and am ready to write again, without having too much in my head.  After we spoke to the Rakshasa tiger man, I wanted to be ...